Buffalo from Lake Erie. Painted and engraved by W.J. Bennett, from a sketch by J.W. Hill. New York: Henry J. Mcgarery, c 1836
.

Buffalo was already a busy port in 1832, with 2,560 ships arriving and departing. The year after the city's incorporation, the "Chinaman's Light" was built, the second of Buffalo's four lighthouses. The original tower still stands on the old stone pier, the oldest structure in Buffalo on its original site.


1832 page from Maurice Kingsley's history of Buffalo Harbor, N.Y., 1798 - June 30, 1884.

read the transcript

Continue Tour

  Exhibit Home Page    Select a Page from the Exhibit

To BECHS Home