Hotel Statler - later Hotel Buffalo (1905-1908) cont'd
279 Washington Street, southeast corner of Swan Street

"artistic in conception, a delight to the eye because of its colorings - contrasts with French style of mauve, pale green and gold - ..., [the walls] treated with a full-glazed terra cotta decorated with plant forms [and illuminated by] dull iron chandeliers wrought in original shapes."

As reported in local newspapers, January 1908.

 

 

 

The windows of the first floor featured designs in opalescent (colored) glass framing clear prismatic (ridged) glass, designed to refract light into the interior. This is one of two windows once located in the northwest corner of the lobby, above the telephone booths.


Tour the First Floor
Click on any red icon below to see an image from that perspective.

View sample rooms from the Second Floor
Click on any red icon below to see an image from that perspective.

Continue to the next page of the Hotel Statler

Back to Contents     Site Map    To BECHS Home