Hotel Statler - later Hotel Buffalo (1905-1908) cont'd 279 Washington Street, southeast corner of Swan Street
Hotel Statler -
When the new Hotel Statler (1921-1923) opened on Niagara Square, the original Statler was renamed Hotel Buffalo. The Hotel Buffalo closed in 1967 due to competition from suburban motels.
Cornice Detail. Photograph. c. 1910
Terra Cotta Detail. Hotel Buffalo demolition. 1968
Despite an attempt to turn the building into a culinary school, it was demolished in 1968 to create what is now known as a "shovel ready" site. The site is now part of the open plaza in front of Dunn Tire Park.
This photograph reveals that one of the terra cotta pieces had been installed upside down.
Lower exterior view. Photograph. c. 1910
The parking lot from which this photo was taken was cleared of buildings around 1965, and has remained "shovel ready' to this day.
Hotel Buffalo during demolition. 1968
Building Fragment. Hotel Statler/Hotel Buffalo. Terra Cotta. Atlantic Terra Cotta Company. c 1906
This completes the section on the Hotel Statler/Hotel Buffalo