Click on images for larger view
1812: Augustus Porter finances a mill-race to supply water and stimulate industry. Manchester, now Niagara Falls, his settlement along the American rapids, begins to prosper.
1875: Horace Day finishes the mill sites along the canal. Charles Gaskill establishes his flour mill. He was the only one to purchase one of Day's power sites.
May 1, 1877: Jacob Schoellkopf and his associates purchase the Hydraullic Canal.
April 23, 1878: Schoellkopf incorporates the Niagara Falls Hydraulic Power and Manufacturing Company.
Two of the three Schoellkopf stations used water from the hydraulic canal first proposed by Augustus Porter. The third station utilized a specially constructed tunnel. Power was supplied to the electro-chemical and aluminum industries in Niagara Falls.
February 2, 1886: Thomas Evershed unveils his plan for developing power at Niagara.
June 12, 1889: The Cataract Construction Company is incorporated.
December 14, 1891: The Cataract Construction Company decides upon a central power station for generating and distributing power.
April 7, 1892: Canadian and American investors form the Canadian Niagara Power Company. The company is granted the right to build a power station in Queen Victoria Park in Niagara Falls, Ontario and is permitted to divert water from the Niagara River to generate power.
December 20, 1892: The Evershed tunnel and the Edward Dean Adam's power house inlet canal are completed.
May 6, 1893: Alternating current is selected as the means to develop power at the Niagara Falls Power Company's Station (under construction) on the upper Niagara River.
In 1893 Niagara Falls Power Company awarded Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company the contract to develop power at Adams Station. The Station first transmitted electricity to the Pittsburgh Reduction Company (now of Niagara Falls, New York) in August of 1895. The General Electric Company, successor to the Edison General Electric Company was to install the transmission lines from Niagara Falls to Buffalo. The Adams Station was decommissioned in 1961.
Francis V. Greene
Plate Steel Spiral Casing for 70,000 Horse-power Niagara Turbine
Turbine for the Adams Power Plant
November 16, 1896: The Niagara Falls Power Company transmits alternating current to Buffalo. Niagara Falls arrives as a power authority.
Niagara Falls Gazette, November 16, 1896
1918: Adam's Niagara Falls Power Company and Schoellkopf's Niagara Falls Hydraullic Power Company merge bowing to government pressure for more efficient use of the Niagara River's water provided by the Boundary Waters Treaty of 1910. They retain the name Niagara Falls Power Company.
1956: The Schoellkopf station is destroyed in a landslide. New York State recognized a need to restore and increase generating capacity. The Robert Moses Niagara Power Project emerges as a solution.